Driving Tips and Car Tips for Safe Winter Driving
Driving in winter weather can always be a challenge, but keeping your vehicle in good condition can help ensure you and your family have a safe winter holiday season. These are some tips on how to ensure your vehicle is properly checked-up and winterized before the snow hits the ground!
Below are a few tips we hope you will find useful:
- Check your windshield wiper blades - verify that your wipers are in good condition. We also advise you to buy wipers specifically intended for winter use.
- Have your tires changed to specific winter tires - these have better traction which helps while driving in potential snowy and icy conditions.
- Avoid driving in a rush - make sure you give yourself extra time to get to where you need to go; especially when weather is bad.
- Regularly remove snow and ice from your vehicle.
- Do not use your car's cruise control feature during bad weather.
- Keep a safe following distance - it may take longer to stop on a slippery road so make sure to keep a distance of at least four second between you and the car ahead.
- Check all signal lights, head lights and tail lights and make sure they are functional and aimed correctly.
- Make sure your brakes are functioning correctly - you can bring your car to our Kingsway Honda and we will examine your brakes. We will make sure they are in perfect shape for winter!
- Slow down to avoid skidding - avoid suddenly braking, turning and changing lanes.
- Get your car ready with a full check-up to ensure the battery, brakes, and cooling and heating system are in top shape.
If you have any questions or would like us to have a look at your vehicle, please click here to book a Service Appointment or give us a call 604-874-6632.